Saturday, April 4, 2009

Which One Would You Rather Be?

Ansel Adams, a world renown photographer, author and conservationist, is best known for his ability to capture the natural grandeur of our environment. He is quoted (in today's art quote) as having said, "There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." And that got me wondering which end of the camera I'd rather be on. Right off I'd say I'd rather be the photographer, but when I view a family photograph that captured one of life's special moments, just seeing that picture brings back all the joy of that moment.
How about you? Would you rather be the photographer or the viewer and why?
Leave your answer in the comment section below.

3 comments:

  1. Id rather be the viewer. Being behind the camera you always capture the moment- weddings, newborns, family get togethers. You are able to live vicariously but not actually get to live the moment.
    I love that photo of train tracks. Everywhere I have lived has always been next to tracks, except here in AK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great question. On one hand it is really great to be the viewer and remember all of those precious moments, but, on the other, there is something about capturing one of those moments that brings me joy. There is also something about sharing an amazing moment or view with a friend. and I think that you are living those moments, you get to experience and replay the emotions that inspired you to take that picture everytime you see it. So I guess I can't choose. Both of the roles are something I wouldn't give up or trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco, I enjoy being the photographer. When I see photo's of myself in nature, I always feel vain, and wonder why I enjoy these photos of myself. But when I see a great picture that I have taken of my friends in nature or of nature itself, I experience joy. Thanks for reminding me about this.

    ReplyDelete