Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Etsy Artists Help Fellow Etsy Artists

Visiting blogs is often like going on a treasure hunt. This past weekend, while checking out others’ blogs I found a wonderful, inspiring and uplifting nugget on a blog called “Bags by Melanie.” In the right hand sidebar, Melanie, who has an Etsy store also called Bags by Melanie, has a short write-up that Introduces H.O.S.T.

H.O.S.T. is the Etsy “Helping Others Street Team”, which is comprised of over 100 Esty artists who share the virtuous quality of compassion. HOST has its origins in a discussion thread started by Heather, of Heather R. Lange Art, at 3:15pm on December 20, 2007 entitled “Is Anyone in Need This Season?”


The response was overwhelming—almost 3000 posts in only 7 days. There were a lot of sad stories relating the need of Etsians and their families, but each sad story was answered by an outpouring of posts with words of encouragement, freewill gifts and donations, and leads on resources that might help meet a specific need.


Approximately five hours after the thread began, an Etsy buyer of handmade who goes by GeauxOrganic, commented “I think there needs to be an Etsy gives back street team.” Many participating in the discussion, agreed and 3 days later HOST became an official street team on Etsy.


I think Melanie’s mention of the HOST team caught my eye, because I recently wrote an article for HanmadeNews.org which was published in their Guild and Team Department. “Virtual Strangers Offer Surprise Support to Team Member with Cancer” tells the story of Etsy Artist Joyce Richards of Wild Orchid’s Beads of Glass who was recently diagnosed with Cancer and how members of her Etsy Twitter Team (ETT) reached out with the same kind of compassion that members of HOST show their fellow Etsians.


“Hosties”, as they call themselves, offer friendship, emotional support, help with shop promotion, and basic financial assistance. If you’d like to help the Hosties help others, you can become a member, go to their team blog and make a monetary donation, purchase an item from their team store or donate an item to their store. Below is a glimpse into the HOST Etsy Store.


I do believe that when we have compassion and act on our compassion, we make the world a better place. I also believe, that in a time when so many in our country are struggling, it’s wonderful, inspiring and uplifting to hear and share good news. I hope this brief article, warms your heart and stirs up even more compassion in all of us.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your continuing generosity in helping the Etsy Twitter Team help Joyce. You are an angel! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Coco! At a time when I am wondering about my worth in life, your article reminded me why I am here. As an original participant in Heather R. Lange's thread on etsy, I also joined the HOST team and am now the elected "President". I am forever indebted to Miss Lange for her unselfish act of starting her thread and bringing together some of the most extraordinary people. Some of our team members are no more well off than those we've helped but have given so much without a moment's hesitation. I have come to call some of these beautiful people, my sisters and daughters and I am very proud of them. My Uncle Bill always told me from as far back as I can remember, "No matter how bad off you think you have become, there is always going to be someone in a situation worse than yours. Do what you can to help them...". My Uncle Bill is a brilliant man!

    Thank you again for your blogging of our Team!
    Maria aka Reflections.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for blogging about HOST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Coco for featuring the HOST team on your blog. I am a member of HOST and currently the "Communications" person. I do the HOST blog among other things. HOST is such a wonderful team and my fellow HOSTies are AWESOME. Again, thank you for this post. Love your blog and your stained glass is gorgeous!

    Susan
    YaffaDreams.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you so much for Posting about Host!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to say how proud this made to be on this wonderful team. HOST came to my rescue last year when I was very pregnant, very sick and very drained. We were trying to get into a safer house, get my mom here and get the needs for baby. I was sick with not 1 but about 6 pregnancy related illnesses. A hostie bought some earrings from me. I joined the team because i though how nice I can maybe help someone even a little and lift my spirits. Not the case. These wonderful people found out about my struggles and organized! They made a promotional thread for me and through that and various bog spots and friends of friends We made enough funds to pay deposits for a new larger safer home, to pay for my mom to come stay with my children while i was in the hospital and to buy baby's car seat and many other goods. I also received handmade goods from team members and When i was very down had a whole group of shoulders to lean on.
    This group is so much more than just a street team. Its a family. Willing to accept you, help you, hug you and kick you in the rump if necessary.
    I love you HOSTIES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful wonderful group! Truly, they are all earthly angels. And Coco, thank you as well for letting us know about them!

    ReplyDelete